What is the Difference Between AirBnB Superhost and AirBnB Plus?
Posted by Amanda Schauer | Monday, May 13, 2019
What is the difference between Airbnb Superhost and AirBnB Plus?
Table of Contents
- Airbnb Superhost: Started in 2016, automatically reviewed 4 times a year.
- Airbnb Plus: Started in 2018, hosts must apply
- Airbnb Superhost: Must meet 5 criteria to qualify for Superhost status
- Airbnb Plus: Must meet 6 criteria to qualify for Plus
- Applying and Fees
- Airbnb Superhost: Automatically reviewed 4 times a year, no application fee.
- Airbnb Plus: Must apply for Airbnb Plus, $149 application fee.
- Pros and Cons
Airbnb launched its Superhost program in 2016 to recognize hosts that set and uphold high standards for hosting. Superhost status is automatically given to any hosts that meet the qualifications during AirBnB’s review dates.
Airbnb launched Airbnb Plus in 2018 to mark AirBnB’s 10th Anniversary. Airbnb Plus is considered a ‘hotel-like tier of service’ and is only available for a very exclusive set of hosts. Once a listing is eligible for AirBnB Plus, hosts that wish to be considered for AirBnB Plus have to go through the following process:
- Airbnb account in good standing
- 4.8+ average overall rating
- 10+ stays in the past year
- 0 cancellations in the past year
- 90% response rate to new messages within 24 hours
Airbnb Superhosts are valid for the current qualification period and are renewed if hosts meet the qualifications for the next period. If a host fails to meet the qualifications, the superhost status will be automatically revoked.
- The listing must be an entire place or private room with a private bathroom
- The listing must be in a qualifying location
- 4.8+ average overall rating
- Accepted 95% of booking requests over the past year
- Not canceled any reservations
- Maintained Airbnb Hospitality Standards
Airbnb Plus status is valid for all long as the listing continues to qualify and is solely up to AirBnB’s discretion.
As of April 2019, there is no application and no fees associated with becoming an Airbnb Superhost. Airbnb automatically adds new qualifying superhosts during their review dates.
Once a listing meets the eligibility criteria, the host must click a button on the listing to be considered for AirBnB Plus. There is an application fee of $149 per listing to schedule an AirBnB Plus home visit.
The Airbnb Plus Application Process:
- Complete a Home Checklist
- Schedule and Complete a remote visual assessment
- Complete a home visit with a third-party inspector
- Review the home visit report and make any necessary changes to meet the program’s qualifications
Airbnb Plus Drawbacks
- The requirement to List Exclusively
- This requirement states that any property within the Airbnb Plus program can only be listed exclusively with AirBnB plus. This means that these properties would not be able to be listed on VRBO/ HomeAway, Booking.com, Expedia or any other online booking system. If an AirBnB Plus listing is found to have been in violation with this requirement, Airbnb can remove you from the Program indefinitely.
More Information about AirBnB Superhost: https://www.airbnb.com/superhost/terms
More Information about AirBnB Superhost Benefits: https://www.airbnb.com/superhost
More Information about AirBnB Plus Program: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2195/airbnb-plus-program-terms-and-conditions
More Information about AirBnB Plus Benefits: https://www.airbnb.com/plus/host
More Information about AirBnB Plus Program Fee: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2203/what-should-i-know-about-the-airbnb-plus-program-fee