Upper Yakima River - Class I-II
- Open year round, if water levels permit after Labor Day
- Put in: Teanaway River Bridge
- Length: 3 hours
- Equipment: Rafts, kayaks and fishing equipment
- Professionally guided or self-guided trips available
The upper section of the Yakima River flows through the foothills of the Cascade Mountains between Cle Elum and Thorp. Because of the drop in elevation, from mountains to plains this section of river is swift and somewhat choppy. Your group will need to be able to paddle together in order to maneuver your equipment when getting in or out of the river and to keep your raft away from the banks.
This area is manageable by novices but is not for those who want a lazy day where your paddles never have to touch the water. This section has one set of class II rapids, which is usually the highlight of your trip, but can be avoided by floating on the other side of the river.
The Upper Yakima flows through private farmland and deep canyons with basalt cliffs. The banks are forested with pine trees and brush, throughout your float you will see birds, ducks, cranes, and the occasional deer.
Tours Near Suncadia
Rill's offers both self-guided and professionally guided trips on the Upper Yakima River. This float has plenty of swimming opportunites, a 25' cliff jump, an old railroad tunnel, plenty of animals and one set of class II rapids.
The Upper Yakima drop in location is about 25 minutes from Suncadia the take-out is another 15 minute drive down river. Typically you would drive your own car to the meeting location, but shuttles can sometimes, depending on how busy we are, be arranged ahead of time from Suncadia.
Rill Adventures Raft and Gear Rentals has a 4.4 out of 5 stars from 10 Google reviews.
- " Great people! Fantastic day! Ninon went way out of her way to accommodate our indecisive group! Our gear was all top notch, the instructions at the start of our trip were clear and easy to follow. The staff gave us a few tips on stops to make and short hikes along the way. Take out at the end was easy, everyone was super nice and helpful. "
- " Our group rented two boats for a self-guided trip. The boats and gear were set out and waiting for us in the morning. Everything was in great condition. We'll definitely use Rill again. "
- " Had a great time with Rill Adventures today! There were four of us in our party and we elected to take the upper Yakima river guided rafting tour. Ryan was our guide. Ryan is awesome! Very professional. We all got a great safety briefing prior to rafting. Ryan made sure we knew the potential hazards and common mistakes made by rafters. "
Rill Adventures Raft and Gear Rentals has 4.5 out of 5 stars from 36 Yelp reviews.
- " We rented a 14' raft set up for fishing and spent a wonderful day on the Yakima. The folks from Rill did a great job. They met us on time with the gear we reserved and loaded us out at the end of the day. The gear was all in great shape."
- " We had such a fun time! Had a group of ten so split between two rafts. Great guides who had fun knowledge and stories, well experienced. Floated the upper Yakima. Was leisurely and relaxing. Gorgeous scenery floating in the early fall enjoying the changing colors. Definitely recommend "
- " We had a blast on our rafting adventure! We rafted the upper Yakima and it was mellow and relaxing. There were 10 of us and we had two rafts with a guide on each (shout out to Shane and Ryan!) We stopped to check out a cave which was pretty awesome. Highly recommend this company for some fun adventure! "
- Toll Free Phone: (888) 281-1561
- Phone: (509) 964-2530
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Up-to-Date Local Events in Cle Elum, Suncadia Resort, and Roslyn
Three Peaks Outfitters
Local Hiking Trails in Cle Elum Washington
Mount Stuart Lodge